Applied Sciences Student Chemist, Marine Diesel at Lubrizol

Derby East Midlands
Science/Research

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

7.9/10

Running of day to day lab tests of oils, involved in the development of new testing procedures.

I have enjoyed my placement, it has been a useful learning experience and I have found the work both interesting and varied. There are also plenty of things going on at lubrizol outside of the working day which I took part in.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

The area I was working in is quite a small department, with three colleagues, but anytime I had any questions or required assistance they were happy to help. My work involved carrying out many of the day to day running of tests as well as work separately on a developing project, and any ideas or input I had on that were always valued.

Anytime I required assistance or support my supervisor was happy to help.

I was kept occupied through a combination of running the day to day tests, working on a newer project and writing reports.

I was given a fair amount of responsibility for carrying out tests and reporting results and was trusted to manage my own time schedule.

The lab skills I developed were quite specific, but the overall benefits of working on a project/giving presentations/writing reports will definitely be beneficial in future employment.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

My supervisor and I shared an office, and got along well.

The structure of the applied sciences student placements at lubrizol is excellent as it they immerse students in the day to day workings of the company, whilst giving them the responsibility of contributing their own project over the course of the year. You are treated like a normal employee of the company and so are invited to attend monthly technical talks, one of which you are given the opportunity to present your work at later in the year.

I was given the necessary training and development within 1-2 months of starting.

The company tends to favour hiring PhD students, and I am not sure whether I want to go down that route. However if a job comes up where one is not required, I would apply. I also have another year left of university to complete.

A l t of student would leave derby at the weekends to visit family or girlfriends, when a few people stayed we had some decent nights.

Average prices all round for shopping, quite dear for a pint.

Plenty of good pubs, clubs not so much.

There are company organised badminton, climbing, football and volleyball nights during the week as well as various subsidised day trips,bowling nights and a quiz night.