1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The work was varied and every day was different which made it both challenging and more interesting.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Placement students are treated as graduates and so we were all offered the same opportunities and responsibilities.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There was a buddy system which provided day to day support and regular appraisals and counselling offered more long term guidance. The friendly office environment also meant that support and guidance was readily available when needed.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Busy season could be hectic at times but the summer provided a good balance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
You are given the opportunity to take on more responsibility as and when you feel you are ready and depending on the client/team at the time.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Time management skills will be particularly useful during a final year regardless of the degree discipline. The more technical skills and experience both in terms of working in an office environment and more job specific skills will be invaluable whether you choose to continue with a career in audit or not.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office environment was friendly and there was a broad range of people from all over the world, with a wide range of skills and experiences. We spend most of the time working away from the office which also provides more variety.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was well organised as I was included as part of the graduate intake.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
A variety of training was offered ranging from ACA qualifications to soft skills and industry specific training. An appraisal system also assisted in achieving personal goals at work.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am looking forward to returning to complete the remaining two years of my ACA training. Having a job that I enjoy to return to after graduation means that I can concentrate on my final year and make the most of it with the confidence that I have a job to go back to.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Placement students were treated as graduates and so there was a good social scene amongst the general office
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living is relatively high although the salary reflects this and increases throughout your training contract.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are bars, restaurants and clubs both in the centre of Jersey and by the beaches.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a very active social club providing activities such as golf days, day trips to France, kayaking and meals/drinks evenings.