1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
great atmosphere, wonderful people to work with and the the work was within my capabilities
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
people were very friendly, became great friends with a good few people
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
was encouraged to ask loads of questions and even when people were busy, they never seemed troubled by my questions
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
very busy, certainly wasnt a just a tea lady. was given responcibilites and projects of work to do,
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
how much responcibility was dependant on how much i wanted but the chance was there, it was up to me to take it up.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
the internship wasnt originally not a trial for a graduate job, however they liked my performance, put me through interviews and i now have a job secured and i can concentrate on my studies in my final year.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
people were very pleasent and friendly and i felt included in what they did. everyone was hard working though the banter was still hilarious at points.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
very well organised. in my office i had my work all planned out for me and lots of tasks to complete and also out with the office the graduate HR organiser had several meetings and group disscussions so as we had the chance to meet some very important people from all aspects of the business and have a chance to ask questions and here about their roles and experiances. also several fantanstic social events which really made it i think. some great laughs and lots of memeories made.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
we had a crash course in finance and also development of communication and problem solving skills. I also attened an advanced excel course to improve my skills i had built on at uni. they also put you through your professional exams if you join full time and you dont lose your job if you dont pass first time (which many other companies enforce unfairly i feel.)
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
i will be one of the 2014 finance graduates ( as long as i pass my exams of course) and i am looking forward to it as i know the lovely bunch of people i am going to be workin and socialising with. cant wait!!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
fantastic social group of us. there were about 30 of us altogether who were a bunch of characters and a fantastic laugh! during the week, there was always a bunch of us to sit with at lunch or go out for lunch with and of course always a good group of us to go out every other night of the week. what can i say, my poor liver,lol
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
i think i broke even. i had to move from my parents home in scotland to living in london. I didnt miss out though, i went out all the time and wasnt really caring about the money to be honest. it was about the experience
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
it was cerntal london, so it was fantastic. was expensive though. schroders did pay for a good few nights out which were far from stingey and very lush. i found that having friends over to the flat for a few drinks first and getting on the guest list (free entry for girls at GLM) made it very affordable.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
yea they had soft ball league with other finace companies and other sporting events. i am not a sports person though so i cant comment how good they were.