Tasks varied daily, all related to improving Weld quality, reducing costs or saving time through design and manufacturing of parts, researching products, meeting suppliers and implementing new equipment.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Fantastic; really enjoyed myself and don't want to leave!!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I had the best team ever. My manager and most of the guys in my team became my friends, I could share with them all my thoughts and how I felt about work and in general. It really helped me to stay motivated!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Manager supports anything you want to do that will help you to develop and therefore benefit the company. Have been on some really good training courses.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Always had something worthwhile to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was treated like a real employee. I was trusted enough to handle stuff a regular employee would do.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Greatly, I have done so much in my time here and learnt so much both in the work I've done and the courses I've been able to do.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
In general, it was a friendly and relaxing atmosphere with a bit of humor going around.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I think overall the placement scheme was set up in a good and organised method as I was treated as one of the employee and involved in various training as well as communication sessions that were going on in the factory.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
With regards to personal development - the company is willing to assist you with various courses if required.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I will consider returning to the company upon graduation, however, I would be looking into a different role than my placement.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, we all meet up regularly and have each others contact details to meet up when we all return to University.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Derby is a relatively cheap area with beer and housing being cheap in comparison to the south coast, although sharing accommodation definitely makes it a great deal cheaper as single bed flats are still quite pricey.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Derby nightlife is ok, the surrounding villages have some fantastic pubs which I personally found much more enjoyable. The city itself is fairly bland, nothing particularly stands out and the clubs are your run of mill clubs such as Mosh and Revolution.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
On occasion there would be events out side of work. This is something that was of focus to improve when I was leaving.