Scientific Software Developer at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

Oxford South West
Computer Science Physics

8.5/10

9.7

I made contributions to a fantastic piece of software and met lots of brilliant people along the way.

Imagine yourself working at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

I felt apart of the team, and the contributions made had impact on various colleagues' work within the software.

The support was there for any problems you were having be.

It's a relaxed environment. No one is watching over your shoulder or minds if you go for a short break as long as you get the work done to a high standard, and on time.

From the first week you dive into real-world problems faced within Mantid (that if you did not solve, other team members would have). You are then given responsibility for a specific domain, and get to work on improving, and adding new features to that.

It's a huge project, and the team is full of brilliant people. All of the technical and soft skills developed will certainly help when doing my final year at university and beyond.

Imagine yourself working at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

It's a rather laid back environment in the sense that each person is working on their own tasks. I enjoyed this as I also wanted to work on my tasks. Everyone is friendly and approachable (for when you're stuck on that problem!).

We had to participate in various courses (fire safety, lifting etc) as RAL can be dangerous.

A previous placement student has just started the graduate scheme.

There are lots of students (from BSc to PhD) to meet, and always events happening (especially in Oxford).

Not too bad. We're paid more than enough to cover living, socialising and have lots left over.

Students normally go out in Oxford.

There are always scientific lectures/tutorials and other events on site that you can attend.