1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I made contributions to a fantastic piece of software and met lots of brilliant people along the way.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt apart of the team, and the contributions made had impact on various colleagues' work within the software.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The support was there for any problems you were having be.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It's a relaxed environment. No one is watching over your shoulder or minds if you go for a short break as long as you get the work done to a high standard, and on time.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
From the first week you dive into real-world problems faced within Mantid (that if you did not solve, other team members would have). You are then given responsibility for a specific domain, and get to work on improving, and adding new features to that.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It's a huge project, and the team is full of brilliant people. All of the technical and soft skills developed will certainly help when doing my final year at university and beyond.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It's a rather laid back environment in the sense that each person is working on their own tasks. I enjoyed this as I also wanted to work on my tasks. Everyone is friendly and approachable (for when you're stuck on that problem!).
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had to participate in various courses (fire safety, lifting etc) as RAL can be dangerous.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
A previous placement student has just started the graduate scheme.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There are lots of students (from BSc to PhD) to meet, and always events happening (especially in Oxford).
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Not too bad. We're paid more than enough to cover living, socialising and have lots left over.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Students normally go out in Oxford.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are always scientific lectures/tutorials and other events on site that you can attend.