Preparing presentation images using Photoshop and AutoCAD
Preparing site models using SketchUp
Researching and gathering inspiration from design precedents
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Friendly coworkers, very laid back and relaxed work atmosphere.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
As an undergraduate student taking on an internship, I felt like I had little to offer in terms of experience and skills, and instead took it as an experience to learn from professionals
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisor was very chatty, friendly and easy to get along with
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Workloads varied drastically on a week to week basis
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
There were a few other interns and apprentices at my work, along with a supervising manager who worked beneath my boss - and it was a very small company! So the bigger workloads were taken on by more senior staff and the smaller tasks were shared out between the inexperienced interns.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I am still studying and yet to finish my degree, but I certainly feel more confident having stepped into the industry, worked with professionals and participated in real life cases.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone worked better when they plugged their music in and concentrated on their own work, so it was quiet.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Absolute did a great job of matching people with their desired industries as best as they could; most people got a job in their field.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was only there for a month, and it was a small firm with few staff.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Still studying, and will need to complete a post-graduate course in order to get qualified, but I hope my future prospects are bright.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Everyone made friends very quickly, and Absolute did a great job of pairing up housemates based on personality test scores. Everyone got along well and would always hang out together after work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
China is super cheap! If you come from a Western country, you can live life like a billionaire!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
So much awesome nightlife in Shanghai - every night is ladies night somewhere, and every hour is happy hour!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Absolute organised weekend trips and dinners throughout the week to get everyone together.