Summer Intern from Absolute Internship with Carlton Mansfield Consultancy in which I wrote the company website, introduced proposals for marketing mobile phone app for the Hong Kong Jockey Club, compiled research analysis on mobile internet and social media industries, and updated investment templates on the latest industry-related M&As, IPOs, and funding deals in Asia.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The location was great, the office was warm and welcoming, and I learned a lot about the industry as a whole from my job.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
It was a really small office, so I could contribute a lot. I made reports directly to the director, and they created new tasks for me and told me the company progressed a lot while I was there.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was working under the CMO, who was really supprotive and great at explaining things, so I could learn quickly and assimilate well.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It depends on the week, but there were some days i would work overtime from 9-7 and other days where I could just research on my own.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was able to do financial overviews and company reports of major companies in the industry, update their company blog with articles, and write descriptions for their new company website. I am also supposed to update the investment template on major fundings, IPOs, and M&As. Finally, I created some industry reports and press releases, contributing to the consultancy firm's data.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It introduced me to not only the tech industry in Asia but also possible career goals in either management consulting or financial M&As.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was very nice and friendly, and there were a couple of young employees who were very welcoming.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The company was relatively new, and the organization chart of the company was a bit complicated with many subsidiaries, so the organization was a bit messy. However, it was not
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
First year they had interns but were really enthusiastic in helping interns develop
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I very much enjoyed my time; however, the company is still in its very early stages and very small in size.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Food is very very cheap and good, and there are many great restaurants and bars in the area that are chic and reasonably priced.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We were invited to a salon party, a hockey match, a match with the Hong Kong Jockey Club,