7 working day placement (Mon through till the following Tuesday). Lots of workshops, lectures about the company, about the areas it's involved in. Time spent in an office with an associate/partner, working effectively as a trainee. Client pitch presentation made in teams at the end of the placement.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Tiring and stressful because of the possibility of getting a training contract, but great work experience, met some fantastic people and generally had a really fun week or so.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Made to feel at home, no question was too stupid to be asked, and made, as a whole, to feel as if I was wanted.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Really really helpful HR staff, associate trainer was incredibly helpful, and even a talk by the managing partner was really supportive, down to earth and helpful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Loads of stuff to do - if there wasn't a workshop etc being put on by HR, we were in our offices with our trainers. If they didn't have anything for us to do, then there was the client pitch presentation to do too. Saying that, the days weren't long (9.30-5.30), and never felt overwhelmed by the amount of stuff on.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Sent emails to the FSA on my second day there, and allowed autonomy to draft things like legal opinions and stuff. All based on already existing documents, but still a lot of individual responsibility for getting things done.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
A great exposure to the company; the skills learn preparing and giving the client pitch presentation will, inevitably, come in very useful in future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was just before Christmas so, although it was pretty busy, there was a nice feel to it all and everyone was looking forward to a day or two off.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very very professionally organised - lots of social events, we knew exactly where to be and when, and were kept updated constantly on any changes/other opportunities.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They spent a lot of money 'entertaining' us! And seemed really interested to hear what we thought about the scheme, what we'd learnt, and how that had helped improve ourselves.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Got a training contract so it's all good.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Everyone got on with each other really well, lots of time to socialise, and I'll be seeing most of them in the future!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It's London, so expensive, but the canteen was cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
It's central London, so fantastic.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Lots of 'extra' stuff we could have done, including playing football with other trainees, went ice skating, played poker etc etc