Perform trouble-shooting analysis; provide resolution of application issues, and escalation if required. Perform on-call duties on a rotation basis in support of applications running on UNIX systems, server based applications, and basic system/data infrastructure. Monitor performance of systems and applications to ensure system availability and perform standard preventative maintenance. Understands the Technical Support area as it relates to assigned projects/tasks.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The role was very flexible and I really felt like I made a difference to the company.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone has been friendly and welcoming, with my thoughts/opinions being heard and considered
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Good support system in place of mentor/buddy/manager. All available for support/guidance whenever necessary
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I often had to juggle a range of tasks given to me by different colleagues including the intern presentation
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the opportunity to grow more confident in my decision making abilities, but, at the the time there my colleagues were more than happy to help me if I felt like I was out of my depth.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
During my internship all the skills that I have gained during previous work experience rolls along with a great many more have been advanced far further than I could have foreseen.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was a good relationship between members of staff.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was like walking in to full time employment, it was almost impossible to tell that i was different from other employees.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I have sat numerous exams to gain qualifications all paid for by the company and spent countless hours with colleagues across the business learning and developing personal and technical skills
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would be more than happy to work for Microsoft in the future, its a good job in a field i'm interested in and they have been a good employer.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I went out for drinks with my team twice and one event was organised by HR. The majority of the events were organised by the interns themselves which was often daily
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Fairly reasonable if you know how to budget your salary.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are a range of clubs and bars
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We were invited to watch the softball and netball teams plan and there was a great opportunity to get involved