Technical Intern at Microsoft

Reading South East
Information Technology

7.9/10

Perform trouble-shooting analysis; provide resolution of application issues, and escalation if required. Perform on-call duties on a rotation basis in support of applications running on UNIX systems, server based applications, and basic system/data infrastructure. Monitor performance of systems and applications to ensure system availability and perform standard preventative maintenance. Understands the Technical Support area as it relates to assigned projects/tasks.

The role was very flexible and I really felt like I made a difference to the company.

Everyone has been friendly and welcoming, with my thoughts/opinions being heard and considered

Good support system in place of mentor/buddy/manager. All available for support/guidance whenever necessary

I often had to juggle a range of tasks given to me by different colleagues including the intern presentation

I was given the opportunity to grow more confident in my decision making abilities, but, at the the time there my colleagues were more than happy to help me if I felt like I was out of my depth.

During my internship all the skills that I have gained during previous work experience rolls along with a great many more have been advanced far further than I could have foreseen.

There was a good relationship between members of staff.

It was like walking in to full time employment, it was almost impossible to tell that i was different from other employees.

I have sat numerous exams to gain qualifications all paid for by the company and spent countless hours with colleagues across the business learning and developing personal and technical skills

I would be more than happy to work for Microsoft in the future, its a good job in a field i'm interested in and they have been a good employer.

I went out for drinks with my team twice and one event was organised by HR. The majority of the events were organised by the interns themselves which was often daily

Fairly reasonable if you know how to budget your salary.

There are a range of clubs and bars

We were invited to watch the softball and netball teams plan and there was a great opportunity to get involved