Creating reports; Reviewing reports and responding to changes in volume and margin; Competitor analysis; Checking the set up of hotels on the selling system; Sending out special offers to promote struggling resorts and hotels; Applying discounts from hotels; Keeping on top of bookings as they come in
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Everyone was always happy to answer question and assist
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt recognised by my colleagues and that they valued the work I put in
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Once I joined the company, my manager set objectives for me and these were always reviewed in our regular 1-2-1's. When anything else came up, the placement co-ordinator was always available to catch up with.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had something to do while at work. Although there were peak periods, I never felt like I had too much to handle on my own. As a team, we shared the work load equally.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a reasonable amount of responsibility and at times I would have had to make decisions on my own.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The biggest thing learnt for me was time management, as it is a big part of every company. I have learnt to prioritise important tasks and divide my time equally.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The fun never stopped. Not a case of disco balls out in the day but the atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Being the second set of placement TUI has had, It was very well organised from start to finish. We had a 3-week induction upon employment (which helped us settle into the 9 till 5). There was a resort trip organised and we got to go an educational 1-night Cruise taster which was fun.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The placement co-ordinator organised basic workshops that we would need in working better. We were also asked if we wanted to go on courses/workshops about areas of the business we were interested in - marketing, Purchasing.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would like to work for TUI in the future as they are introducing a graduate scheme.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Team night outs, meals, etc. were organised generally for peoples birthdays or just for socializing.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The night-life isn't great as there aren't very many pubs/clubs around.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Whenever events were organised, people were generally invited to them.