My role involves a number of different aspects and is very varied. I do everything involved in setting up a season ready to be sold and traded from pricing, briefing which hotels we want to which hotels go in the brochure and which brochures they go in.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
At times deadlines can be very tight but overall it is really good and you are given a real job to do and real responsibilities.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel that they value my opinions and take them on board in their decisions.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given a lot of support in relation to learning the new systems but not so much that it felt like I wasn't making my own decisions.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At times I am a bit too busy, but as long as I plan ahead I can fit all the tasks I have to do in.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the responsibility of the brochure entirely and I was allowed to price independently after a few times being guided however I still went through the pricing decisions with manager but they also do this with their manager.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Whilst on my placement I have recevied a number of training courses, all of which will be continue to be benificial here but also in the future, when I go back to uni and in my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office is very young and there is a big emphasis on socialising outside of work. Also as a travel company the opportunity to go on work related trips also helps.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement is very well set up from our 3 week induction to continuing your development throughout the year.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invested a lot in my personal training and development allowing me to go to a nubmer of workshops to help develop skills to use in my day to day role and to take away for the future.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would really like to come back and work here in the future, perhaps by applying for the new graduate scheme.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As a group of 10 we got on really well and it was a really good number as we all knew each other really well. As I and 4 other placements live together it means everyone always has somewhere to stay for nights out. We often go on nights out as a placement group and have done loads of things together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living was a lot cheaper in Luton than it would be in London but the wage I recevied obviously reflected this. For those that lived at home they have all been able to save, where as I haven't although I have still been able to do everything I want.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife in Luton is ok but there isn't much choice. However it is only a short train ride to other places such as St. Albans and London.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Out of work activities were organised on a regular basis throughout our department mainly for the younger members of the department.