Cruise Trading Assistant at TUI UK

Luton South East
Business Analytics

7.9/10

Cruise Trading is about identifying the best way to sell a whole host of different cruises in order to maximise profits. As a cruise trading assistant you will be given the freedom to price the weekly sailings across the fleet, it is then your responsibility to ensure that capacity is maximised whilst getting the highest price possible. Analytical and numerical skills will be needed to judge whether or not the price of a cruise should go up or down based on simple supply and demand as well as forecasts and previous travel trends. You will work alongside your team developing promotional strategies and putting in place tactical discounts to make specific, underperforming sailings more attractive. Relationships with key agents are then vital in order to communicate these offers efficiently to in-house and third party retailers, to ensure that occupancy levels are met.

Overall, I feel incredibly lucky with my placement this year. I have an interesting job within a great team. My role provides my with a lot of responsibility and I have received a huge amount of support allowing me to develop a number of skills. Throughout my placement I have been fortunate enough to have been taken to Sharm el Sheikh, Tenerife and Palma and have really come to understand the entire industry.

As mentioned previously my team are great and I really feel as if I'm a full-time employee rather than just a placement. I have been given the opportunity to work with a range of people throughout the business and are encouraged to get involved whenever possible.

I have one-to-onea (half-hour catch ups/reviews) with my line manager every two weeks. This gives me the opportunity for me to ask any questions, raise any concerns and for him to provide me with short-term objectives and to check that everythings ok. I have also been given long-term objectives and development points that I have to work on through the entire year. As well as this all the placements have been to a range of workshops including ones on Presenting and Excel to help develop our skills.

I have a series of daily tasks that need to be completed as well as ad-hoc tasks. Overall, I have a steady flow of work however within the travel industry you are always going to get peak periods that are very busy and other times when it's maybe not as manic.

I have a great level of responsibility. As we come to end of the Winter 09 trading season I am trading all 4 ships and have started setting up for the S11 launch. My team are always avaliable to help if I have any queries and I am still learning stuff every day.

Going into my final year I feel a lot more disaplined and really feel that I'll be able to make the most out of it. I have developed a huge number of my skills and feel that this experience will aid me in securing a graduate job once I have completed my degree.

The office is very open-plan and modern. It has a friendly, young atmosphere and is enjoyable to work in.

The first three week induction was very well organised with presentations, workshops and activities all included.

The amount of time that has been invested in my development has greatly exceeded my expectations. Even 9 months in I am still receiving training and an constantly being encouraged to expand my skills.

I would come back and work here full-time however this has not been offered to any of the placements yet.

All the placements get on really well. We have a really good mixed group that regularly goes out together. The office is very socialable with events such as birthdays always being celebrated with nights out.

Luton is cheap

Nightlife in Luton is alright however is very cheap. Quite a lot of the time we go out in London as its only a half hour on the train.

The boys have a lot of opportunities such as football, tennis and pool.