My job involves meeting profitability and sales targets for my allocated resort (Spain). This is achieved by analysing sales and margins for hotels & flights and adjusting prices accordingly.
Within this role there are many responsibilities and tasks involved such as liaising with various departments, answering resort queries and contributing to team meetings.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have had a great time so far on my placement year and have picked up so many valuable skills. The travel industry has been exciting to work in and I have met some great people. The best part was having the opportunity to go on a work trip to Tenerife and a cruise.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone is friendly and there are a lot of social events to get to know everyone. You are given the same opportunities as everybody else and there is a really good work atmosphere.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There is a lot of support given from team members, especially during the induction period. I found that management were also understanding and supportive of uni responsibilities.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It varies depending on the time of year. Certain periods can be very hectic but manageable.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
You take full responsibility for the resorts that you are given. You are doing the same job as other employees and are treated as one, not just as a placement.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have picked up many skills that will help me with my degree and beyond, such as developing presentation skills and learning time management. I have also increased my commercial knowledge immensely.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There is a good work ethic in the team which is needed. However, everyone is very friendly and there are various events going on reguarly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was very well organised considering it is only in its second year. The induction is very thorough and opportunities such as training and projects were given throughout the year.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Workshops were arranged specifically for the placements in the areas of presenting, time management, IT and many more.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are future employment prospects within the organisation depending on if there are vacancies at the time.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home but the cost of living is very reasonable in the area.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The night life in Luton is limited but it is very close to London where a lot of social events take place.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?