Summer Vacation Insight Student at Allen & Overy

Commercial Law Legal/Law

Allen & Overy is a Top Employer

8.2/10

Internship.

Very structured so as to ensure that the scheme was as informative as possible while also being as enjoyable as possible.

I was told that the work I was given to do during my time in the departments was of value and I genuinely believe that to have been the case given what I was asked to do.

Trainers were happy to give advice when it was sought generally speaking, however at times it was viewed as negative to ask lots of questions.

Definitely plenty of knowledge gained about how to build a successful practice and career going forward.

Very well structured.

Very fun and relaxed given the highly charged atmosphere that naturally pervades magic circle law firms.

Aside from the amount of effort put into the London vacation scheme, the fact that the firm paid for an international placement in Hong Kong provided huge insight into how a global firm works across offices and regions.

In general, very few question marks remain in my head as to what a role with Allen & Overy would involve.

Presentations given by every department were especially helpful in terms of observing to what extent the firm's culture both stays the same and differs between departments.

Not that helpful due to the fact that I was already pretty sure of my chosen career path, the scheme only served as confirmation of that choice.

£250 a week is a good amount to be paid for any internship, however it still does not cover living/accommodation expenses in London - which in reality is what is needed given the time an intern needs to put into a vacation scheme.

The Duck Tour was a particular highlight, especially because it was a slightly unusual experience, the scheme would only be benefited by having a few more slightly unusual social events.

Employees all clearly work very hard, but I did talk to a number of them about their outside hobbies, and this was informative.