1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed the internship. I had a lot of experiences throughout and learned a lot about Standard Life and the IT role.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All of my team were happy to talk to me about their roles, they were interested to find out more about me and I was encouraged me to share any comments I had on their work.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager on the team had quite a busy schedule so I didn't meet up with him every week however the Graduate trainee on the team was there to talk to on a daily basis and give guidance. My placement manager, who I had regular meetings with, was also really helpful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The level of work fluctuated and I had some days when I didn't have very much to do. My placement manager provided with me some extra work to do in the last few weeks which helped balance my workload a bit.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had control over the project I was given.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The communication skills I have adopted over the past 10 weeks will be really beneficial to me in my next year of study and also in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I think everyone on my team has the right balance - It's a good atmosphere but people are still working hard.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Apart from the workload not being as big as expected, the internship was really well organised.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Learning sessions were set up for the interns where we got to learn more about the company and also work on our presentation skills. Sessions were set up for the IT interns where we got to meet people in different roles who told us about their job and the different areas of IT.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There is the opportunity to gain a place on the graduate scheme if you have performed well over the internship.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Went out for lunch with my team on a few occasions. Sat and had lunch with the interns every lunch time and also saw each other outside of work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
There are expensive places and cheaper places - just like any other city, just use the internet to find out where they are.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?