Accountancy Intern at Standard Life Aberdeen

Edinburgh Scotland

8.3/10

I worked in a department that ensures the UK business plan is being delivered. My duties were very varied and involved carrying out iniatatives, writing papers for exec levels on current projects and analysising papers.

Really enjoyed my placement. It gave me a real insight of what an accountancy career has to offer me and the much wider variety of finance roles available. Made me realise although it is challenging it is also a very rewarding job. I was really able to put the theory I had learnt at university to practice.

I really felt valued from day one within my team. My team were all very welcoming and if I ever needed help they were always at hand. We had weekly huddles which I was very much involved in and also had a few social outings e.g. lunch outings.

I was given massive support from my supervisor over the ten weeks. We had weekly one-to-one meetings to discuss how I was getting on and she was also very approachable if I needed to ask her anything. My supervisor ensured I was getting the best experience by giving me very varied work and arranging for me to go into other finance departments.

It was the perfect balance. There was times when I was really busy and times when I was not busy but this was mainly due to the nature of the role waiting for people to respond to emails etc. But I could always ask if I needed more work.

I was given responsbility around my work and how I managed my time. There were deadlines and with tasks running concurrently I had to manage my time effectively so these tasks were completed on time.

We had to give presentations at the end of our internships about our experience. For me this was a massive confidence boost and will help me in my final year with presenting skills. I also drastically improved my excel skills, especially using macros, pivot tables and v-lookups. It also taught me other skills like what its like to work within a large FTSE 100 company.

My team were always interacting with each other due to the nature of their roles. There were obviously times when people were quiet but this was mainly due to deadlines approaching but this never meant my team were unapproachable as they always made time for you. Overall they were very friendly and I had a laugh with my team.

Very organised, from the application process to the last day on the internship everything ran very smoothly. There was always a great support team in HR if you had any questions.

They invest massively into you as interns, from the assessment centre right through to the last day on your intern. Theres a massive support team from your line manager, stream head, buddies and HR. wE ALSO HAD plenty of lunch & learns set up aswell as talks from directors of the business.

There is a really good chance of employment of interns onto the graduate schemes. I wont find out till the end of my intern though if I have been successful.

Yes there was plently of opportunities to socialise with the other interns, graduates and colleagues in my team.

Socialising is great. For me I came to Edinburgh knowing no-one but there was always other interns or graduates to go out with. Being here through the fringe festival has also been great as I've never experienced it! Although Einburgh is quite expensive it has been worth it for the experience.

Theres a selection of really good bars and clubs to go too. Throughout August there is also a greater selection of beer tents and venues due to the fringe festival.

Yeh there were plenty of socialising opportunities. With the rest of the interns we would always try to meet at least once weekly, mainly fridays for a few drinks. There was also a selection of social clubs you could join.