Get a foundaiton of understanding of all the different roles that ACtuaries hold within an provider/insurance company.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Really enjoyed my time here. Considering 10/10 = 'best job ever' 8 is a very high score. Enjoyed the vibe inside the office and was motviated to learn more about the company and my role.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Once again 'Like Family' restricts this score to 8. As before this is a very fair score for the great treatment I recieved form my colleagues. I was brought into project development which coincided with the work I was doing which added excitement to my day to day role.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The project I developed when work on was very independent, so by its very nature there was a freedom that would not have been possible with alot of guidance. However day to day everyone in my team was happy to help with my problems and questions. So once again 8 is a valid score.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
10/10 busy. There was not a single mment where I would be sitting at my desj with no work to be getting on with. This was great as the constant workload made the 10 weeks fly by.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was lucky to get involved in a produt development project due to me creating a secondary model in addition to my main project.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Great team skills, time management, people skills, aseessing and creative license. All skills I can take into my final year of university study and beyond
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was working hard but happy to talk when oppurtunity arose. Office was full of nice people, everyone working hard to get things done so a great atomosphere
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Through organisd group sessions, good exposure to company non specifically to my internship role. Futhermore constant interaction with organisers meant that you neevr felt that you did not understand the format for the 10 weeks
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Not much investment in terms of money but long term prospects and incentives are amazing. Company % recruitment is very high which is encouraging. Great interaction with senior staff about what work would be underttaken should I return
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Fingers crossed but all feedback has been good up to now
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Fringe festival was ongoing throughout internship. Great opportunity to experience shows and acts for the whole of August. Generous work hours also meant you can easily go and see things in the eveninh
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
10/10 as SL provided accommodation free but Edinburgh is reaosnably expensive city to live in. Food is ok priced alcohol is reasonably expensive
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightclubs not as good as my home town edinburgh, hwoeevr Fringe festival meant 5am clubbing licenses plus 100,000 visitors to the city meant that it was always party time.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Not really that many, working hard so not that much time outside of work to get involved in much.
Good to be around during the International festival and the comedy festival, as great to go enjoy the city