HR Intern at Standard Life Aberdeen

Edinburgh Scotland
Human Resources

8.8/10

8.6

I worked within the employment policy and relations team. My main focus of work was on diversity and inclusion within our recruitment process. My team's work was varied, so it was a great team to be in for learning more about the UK based business and our international group.

The Standard Life internship was a truely, worthwhile opportunity.

My colleagues were very supportive and took an interest in the work I was doing.

The level of support at Standard Life, was probably the best part of the internship. I had weekly meetings with a buddy who had completed the graduate scheme. I also had regular catch-ups with the head of my scheme.

Most of the time I was able to organise my own workload. Therefore on a daily basis I had just the right amount of work.

I was given ownership of my own piece of work. At first this was a little daunting. However, by the end I was really glad I could complete my work in my own style and use my own ideas.

I have learnt and developed many skills: data analysis, organisation, presenting skills and writing.

There is a really friendly culture at Standard Life. I also felt very welcomed by the whole department, as well as my own team. People took the time to ask me how I was getting on.

We were always kept up to date with key dates and nothing was sprung upon us. My placement manager had contacted me a few weeks before I had started telling me about the nature of work I would be undertaking. This was a great advantage before starting.

The company provided several 'lunch and learns'. These were varied in content and speakers. However they all gave me a better understanding of the company and the general industry.

Within the department I was in, there were no graduate jobs. However if there were it would be a great opportunity.

Edinburgh in August is amazing. There are plenty of things to see in the city and the intern group were great for socialising.

Varied. If you find the right places to go, the nights out can be reasonable. However, at weekends you can sometimes get caught out by expensive bars.

Working in the city centre was ideal for enjoying the nightlife.

I signed up for the company hockey club- they were extremely welcoming!