My main duty is debugging PL/SQL. Most days I work on making changes to existing code to rectify a problem or add additional functionality to the application. I also spend a fair amount of time testing my solutions before I hand them over to my manager.
I've also worked on OA Framework pages which involved some Java, HTML and the creation of a JSP page.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Although I havent completed the placement yet so far its been really interesing however this is the first time i've ever used PL/SQL so it was a bit of a struggle to begin with, its getting easier and hopefully by the end of the placement this question will get 10 out of 10 stars!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone is really friendly and fun to work with as long as you get on with your work properly.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager is brilliant and gives me superb guidance
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Because we develop in quarters the beginning of the quarter is normally fairly quiet and the end is quite hetic.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Although I didn't have any specific responsibilities I was given plenty of problems to solve and was trusted to just get on with the work.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I haven't gone back to my final year yet but I can see the skills I've gained in PL/SQL and working in a team being very useful.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone is always ready for a laugh and the banter makes each day even more enjoyable.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There was a lot to take in when I first started and I felt a bit lost for a while.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
So far I have completed 1 training course though hopefully I will get the oppurtunity to go on more.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I really enjoy working here but unless I get better at PL/SQL I don't think I could spend the next few years doing it.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Most students got on and lived together, however half of us weren't very keen on going out. We don't really go out with our managers unless its an organised event (like a Christmas dinner).
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living was quite expensive because Reading is a commuter town for London, I dont really go out much so can't comment on the socialising aspect.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Although the other students seemed to enjoy the nightlife its not something I enjoy so can't really give an accurate comment on this.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Theres so much to do if you look for it, soup kitchens, local groups and charities.