Year in Industry Student at Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)

Salisbury

This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant. Click here to view the most recent reviews for Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)

3.7/5

4.2
2.8

Technical Office, with opportunities to undertake Technical work in other departments

I got some great experiences this year, as well as a really valuable insight into the working world.

I wasn't just treated like a student there to make tea - I got to do real work and contribute in a big way.

Line Management is very good, and designed to help you make the most of your year.

I got as much work as I wanted - if you ask for more you will be given it!

I was given as much as I wanted - within reason. Your LM is there to push you and help you to develop, so you are given as much responsibility as you are able to deal with - which is a great opportunity!

I was able to develop lab skills, inter-personal and computer skills; as well as become more sure what University course I wanted to do!

There is always something happening - you can make the most of working in such a great team environment.

The interview and job vacancies were out rather late, so everything was done quite quickly, but nothing was left out.

Chartership opportunities, Continued Professional Development courses and seminars, as well as opportunities in other departments were offered.

I managed to get a Summer Sponsorship, and a guaranteed graduate interview.

Most YINIs live together on one street (provided housing), which provides a good atmosphere.

More expensive than up North!

The provided housing is a bit too far out of town - and taxis aren't cheap!

The Sports club is often doing things, and isn't too expensive, although get involved early!