Team member, explosives detection equipment. at Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)

Sevenoaks

This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant. Click here to view the most recent reviews for Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)

4.2/5

4.6
4.4
3.4

Evaluation of explosives detection equipment, support and advice to users, assisting on field trials.

Had some amazing opportunities to look at work outside of my field.

Everyone was supportive and included me in their projects.

My line manager was often poor at giving me work, but I learnt to find my own opportunities.

Sometimes very busy, sometimes less so, depending on time of year. (End of financial year is busy, start is less so)

Able to take my own route provided I kept project lead updated. Took on a technical lead role for one project.

Learnt a lot about time management and organisation and all those kind of personal skills. Only partially related to my degree but field I worked in was not neccessarily something you can learn at university.

The public sector is underfunded and often there are frustrating restrictions on what can and can't be done, but personally I found everyone upbeat and enthusiastic.

I worked on a variety of projects, but often there was no clear plan for me, I picked up work as I went along.

I went through the full training provided to all new starters.

Currently applying for a scholarship with them and hopefully a graduate role.

Yes, and there's plenty of other students and graduates. Limited opportunities to meet people in other departments/on other sites.

I went to uni in London so wasn't too shocked... However it is an expensive area.

half hour from London, near to Bluewater shopping centre...

There is a new starters club which runs talks, outings etc etc for new starters (and old timers....)