This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant.

1.9/5
  • The Role
    2.8
  • The Company
    1.0
  • The Culture
    1.5

Monitoring legislative developments, drafting position papers on legislation, updating roadmaps to keep track of legislation for specific sectors, attending meetings of the European Parliament, business development activities.

• 1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
  • Sometimes the work was interesting, other times it was extremely monotonous

• 2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
  • The other intern was a great friend. But while the partner said I was a valued part of the team, I never really felt like that.

• 3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
  • I was often told to be a self-starter or to use my imagination rather than being given real guidance. There was no formal training given.

• 4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
  • I usually made my own work to do when there was not a lot going on, some clients had monitoring that needed to be done every day so there was always something to be done but sometimes I finished all the valuable work quite early. Other times I was called upon to do research which kept me until late at night.

• 5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
  • My work was used for client meetings, in meetings with European Commission officials and internally with other partners.

• 6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  • I definitely learned a lot, even if a lot of it was self-taught.

• 7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
  • Myself and one other intern had a good time together but no one else really socialised with us.

• 8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
  • There was no formal training and it all felt a bit disjointed, it was up to me to carve out a space for myself and establish a workstream.

• 9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  • 1/5

• 10. What were the perks on your work placement?

• 11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
  • I might be able to look for a job at the London office, but I would need to get a masters degree before looking into positions in continental Europe.

• 12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
  • The other intern is a very good friend of mine but the attitude of the office generally was quite cold and unwelcoming.

• 13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
  • I paid 560 euros per month for a studio in a house within walking distance.

• 14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
  • the nightlife in Brussels was good, different from the UK because it's more about bars than clubs, but we always had a lot of fun.

• 15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
  • There was quite an exclusiveness about activities outside of work, interns were not very welcome.

Commercial Law, Corporate Law, E-Business, Internet/e-Commerce/New Media, Legal/Law, Market Research

14th July 2013