Vacation Scheme Student at Shoosmiths

Reading South East
Legal/Law

8.8/10

Vac scheme

I had a great time and really felt that I got a feel for what the firm was about. Evereyone was so friendly and I definitely loved the experience. Even at time where I was busy or doing less interesting woek it was still very enjoyable.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Shoosmiths

I did feel valued and I was given real life work to do and give my opinions on. I did some proof reading and found a number of errors which I was able to show to a senior associate. I had contributed some actual work which felt great.

I was mentored by a trainee who was lovely, very helpful and always willing to talk if i needed anything. The rest of the team were also great and very approachable. I always had a number of people that I could approach and talk to.

The skills that I developed were good but they did just add to skills that I already have. I did learn some research skills which will inevitably be great for things like dissertation and coursework research that I will undertake.

It was very strucutured. I was given a mini presentation to do all week which was always in the background that I could always work on when i was not given other work. This made a good structure that I could stick to.

The atmosphere in my team was great. So friendly but without compromising on the professional ethos of the firm. It was great and I felt so welcome from the first day. The team members in my team really made me feel very valued.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Shoosmiths

They gave me work to do but in terms of training i am not sure i learnt that much. I built on the skills that i already through the work that i did but i would say any personal development was down to me rather than the firm.

It made it very clear to me what a full time role would be like at the firm. I spent a lot of time with some of the trainees and therefore i gained a good insight into what life would be like and what kinds of work would be undertaken here.

The culture at Shoosmiths is the one thing that is emphasised so much and this was something that i defiitely came to understand while on my placement.Everyone was really great and you call tell that Shoosmiths does what it says on the website.

Was very helpful once again just to reitterate to myself that i know i want to be a solicitor. It did make me see that there as great and just as good opportunities outside of the cities and especially London as well.

i was paid £250 for the week. The opportunity of travel expenses being reimbursed was offered however I did not incur any as I walked back and to the placement during my week at Shoosmiths. I got a cab after the New Friday event but wouldnt expect that to be reimbursed.

There was an event called New Friday which is for young professionals. This was a great event and I met people from Ernst and Young, RBS, BDO and other people from Shoosmiths. Was a great informal atmosphere to be in and meet people.

I went to one event called New Friday which is a social/ netowrking event for young professionals. It was a great chance and i met lots of people from various other places as mentioned in the comment above. This was the only opportunity i came across during my time.

I am aware of them from the website but there was not much emphasis or any information at all given about them during the week. However i am aware of them due to the website and previous contact with the firm.

I would definitely recommend it as it was a great experience to be a part of. It is a great chance to see into a great law firm with top clients but without being in the city. It is a great opportunity and very competitive to get on so if you do then it's great.