I was treated as a typical member of staff, carrying out tasks similar to that of a new graduate at the firm. This involved being on-site at clients, conducting meetings and carrying out audit procedures.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement as I felt like any other member of staff and got really involved in the different audit jobs I was on. It was great experience and confirmed that it was I career I wished to pursue.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was not treated differently from the other staff in the team, I was expected to contribute in the same way, although I was given support in terms of teaching me processes etc. I therefore felt like a valued resource and my work was appreciated.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
In general, I was thrown in at the deep end to challenge me and I enjoyed this, however there was always advice and support on hand, all I needed to do was ask. Indeed when I did ask people were always happy to help and went out of their way to ensure I was ok.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
On a daily basis I had a large workload to cover which meant the day flew by. In addition to this the interns had a group project to do so any spare moments were used researching this. We were often working to tight deadline and therefore there as always a lot to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I felt that given my knowledge I had a lot of responsibility on the placement. For example I was assigned certain tasks and had respponsibility for completeing them. My work was treated like any other team members and as such just reviewed using the nomal procedures and therefore it had to be correct as there was no-one to pick it up. I also met with clients etc and therefore had responsibility for collecting the necessary information
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The experience was invaluable, gaining a real insight into what a job in audit involves. When completing my final year it is great to be able to put the material I am studying into context and it helps my understanding of topics
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was a good atmoshpere, sometimes it could be a bit hectic when trying to meet a deadline, however several social event such as salsa dancing and a comedy night were organised. Everyone was friendly and helpful, I felt at home with them.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was well organised with a weeks training session with all the other interns to start us off. Graduate recruitment or my buddy was always on hand to answer any questions.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I received training similar to that of a new start, had my own laptop and participated in a couple of training sessions run specifcally for the interns. The training week in London was well organised and beneficial and made sure I had everything I needed to have a successful internship.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I was offered a job, conditional on my degree results which I was delighted to accept.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, the interns organised our own social evenings and participated in those run by the firm.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I worked in the same place as I go to uni in so it was no different
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
yes there were sports teams and the social events which I was always invited along to