Publice Sector Assurance Associate at PwC

Cambridge East of England

PwC is a Top Employer

7.1/10

5.2

I completed and assisted with completion of various sections of external audits for several different clients. These included performance indicators as well as the more financial aspects of the end of year accounts. This involves setting up meetings with clients and understanding the systems and controls they had in place to ensure that their accounts were accurate. I also ensured that all statements had audit trails that could be verified. Where there were issues or discrepancies I talked these through the companies employees to locate the source of the error.

The interaction with PwC staff and clients made it very enjoyable.

I was doing exactly what new graduate joiners would be doing so really felt part of the team and that I complete responsibility over my tasks

I had a coach who officially looked after my progress and who was given all the feedback on me from the team leaders. I also had a 'buddy' who I could go to for help on anything. Also within each audit team everyone was happy to answer any questions I had.

Days at clients tended to be extremely busy, whilst days in the office more relaxed, so there was a bit of a mix.

I was treated exactly as a new graduate would be and my work was assessed in exactly the same way as the rest of the teams, meaning that I had as much responsibility as other members of the audit team.

The first week of the placement was at a conference centre when we learnt some basic accounting (great for me, having no accounting background). However I think that the skills I learnt will aid me more at university. Over the placement my confidence, time management and communication skills improved.

The office was fairly hard working and quiet, however there were always people to talk to in breaks.

The internship was very well organised, as I felt just like a new graduate would. I got to work on a number of different clients and with a range of people which gave me a great oversight.

There was no personal development activities as such, aside from the first week in the conference centre. However I feel that the amount of responsibility that we were given was development enough.

I was lucky enoungh to get a job offer from them, meaning that during my last year at university I will not be in the same panic as my friends, trying to apply for jobs and study hard.

There were only 3 of us in the Cambridge office, but we all became good friends and met up quite a lot outside work.

Costs are about average.

A bit cheesy, but there are 4 clubs in the centre of Cambridge as well as lots of pubs and a few bars.

There were not many activities to get involved in outside work, but the annual office party was held during my internship. This was a great event.