I help with the trading of our ships, making price changes to help acheive targets.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement - I had real responsibility and a great team! I was immediately treated like any other member of staff and offered a variety of experiences throughout my year. The office is a great open plan space where there is always something going on. I have also been on a cruise around the Canary Islands, had a four day confrence in Palma and have a one night taster cruise coming up.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All my team were very welcoming and I felt valued straight away. I have always been treated the same as everyone the team and have been recognised for my work.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given lots of support at the start and throughout my placement. I had a week cross over training and then a two week schedule where I learnt not only my own role but about other members of the team and an insight into the overall commercial department. I also had regular one-to-ones with my manager where we talked about any problems either of us had.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the beginning I wasn’t very busy but as I progressed and was given more responsibility the work load increased.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given lots of responsibility. Me and another placement were solely responsible for organising a one night cruise for staff.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It has already helped me so much! I have learnt how to work in a professional role and deal with different levels of people. I have also learnt a huge amount about the cruise and tourism industry which aid me in my final year.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was always a great atmosphere in the office. Often a product we offer customers is showcased to us such a free runners in the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was very well structures with a half year review and regular placement meetings.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm invested hugely in my I got to go on two resort visits and had a variety of workshops to develop my skills and learn about the business.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love the opportunity to go back to TUI when I graduate.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
In my year the placements all got on very well so we would often socialise on weeknights and weekends. There were also lots of team nights out and the wider business summer and Christmas parties.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living was relatively cheap and we walked into work. However Luton has good and bad areas so make sure you are in the right location. Overall it isn’t as bad as you think!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Luton had a Liquid which was a laugh if you didn’t take it to seriously and were with a large group! St Albans is nearby and has a good mix of bars and clubs – I would recommend Batchwood!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?