Assurance Summer Intern at PwC

PwC is a Top Employer

7.8/10

I worked in Madrid and London on a number of audits. This involves going to one of PwC's clients and working in a small team of auditors, analysing their accounts in order to provide an accurate picture of their financial state. This can involve a lot of work with spreadsheets and excel but the tools are provided and there is constant coaching on-the-job.

The role involved a lot of teamwork and the need to be flexible, willing to learn and attentive was highly valued. Client interaction is encouraged and as such, I was heavily involved in meetings and correspondence.

The internship was exciting and their was a heavy emphasis placed on personal development. All the interns were afforded a lot of responsibility. My own internship allowed me to work in Madrid as well, which has given me invaluable international experience.

The nature of the job means that everyone works in tight-knit teams. There is an extensive support network available and everyone is encouraged to give feedback on each others performance. This even relates to senior members of a team asking for feedback from interns.

In Madrid, there was either far too much or very little work at all for the interns.
In London, the emphasis is very much on enjoying a work-life balance and thus, you may work after hours if you want, but it is not enforced.

There is a heavy emphasis on responsibility and accountability. Essentially, the most junior member of the team has a smaller but more intensive workload as a result of relative inexperience. However, each member is individually responsible and accountable - and thus making a valuable and tangible contribution to the team.

I entered the internship not having the best IT skills and by the end was very competent. In addition, working in Madrid allowed me to improve my Spanish in a business environment. These are 2 skills that I have taken back into my final year at university. More long term, the teamwork and variety of work will undoubtedly prepare me for the business world after university.

There were a lot of interns to organise,with some going abroad. The organisation was very good.

Each intern is assigned a support network of 3 people from within the company during the placement. In addition, on the job, it is everyones responsibility to aid each others development. This meant that as an intern, there was always someone to ask when I was stuck.

97% of interns in 2009 were offered a place on the graduate scheme for the following year.

It is what you make of it!

Expensive!

Unsure about this question - if it refers to PwC activities then there wasnt too many in my department. However, there is a social network within the company that organises events.