Summer Internship in Assurance at PwC

PwC is a Top Employer

9.1/10

9.7
9.4

After a weeks training and networking in a hotel, I then got thrown straight into client work. This involved going to a client site as part of a team of auditors and taking an active part in the audit. Although I was a lot less skilled than the rest of the team, I was given a large amount of responsibility, backed up by a fantastically supportive team.

The duties I carried out varied from client to client, but always included the analysis of information followed by meetings with the client. I worked through bank statements, profit and loss accounts, company debtors and creditors lists and a number of other areas in order to follow and amend a number of processes involved in audit.

Throughout my placement I was not only given responsibility, but I was also encouraged to use my initiative when it came to thinking up quicker and more efficient ways to carry out my work.

My internship was a fantastic opportunity to get a proper view of what the job is like, whilst taking part in the real work.

At each client we were situatated in a meeting room. This meant that if I had any questions I could just ask someone straight away. It also gave rise to a nice relaxed atomsphere.

As I said above, I had the opportunity to ask any questions I wanted. Everyone was always willing to help, and I was never expected to do something completely on my own. PwCs' current staff are great at coaching you through new tasks and giving you support where needed.

I was given enough work to keep me busy, whenever I ran out of work someone would coach me through a new task or process.

I was given the opportunity to lead meetings on my own with clients. I also carried out a project with one of the partners from PwC, where I arranged a number of events with an outside networking company in order to bring in new business for PwC.

The main skills set that I developed was to do with interpersonal skills and confidence. There were alot of times where I had to talk with the client and think on my feet. I also developed my knowledge of accountancy.

Due to the relaxed atomsphere on client sites, we were able to have a laugh whilst carrying out the work.

I have acarried out other interships and PwC was by far the most seamless.

We spent a week in a hotel prior to the placement whereby we went through a series of training and activities. During the placement we also spent time go through a number of training podcasts.

I am graduating in 2010 but I already have an almost guarenteed job with them.

We orgainsed a night out in London with all of the UK internship students. When we had training days we went to lunch together. We also got invvited to free champagne and drinks parties organised by PwC.

Cheaper than London.

The night life is good.

Sports events, drinks evenings etc.