Being part of several audit teams that went out to clients to plan, execute and review Assurance engagements. This would involve performing audit tests, interacting with client and team staff and producing reports on work completed.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Had a fantastic year with a lot of good experience and qualifications gained which will really help me progress my career.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
There was always a lot of discussion between the team, and I always felt that my view was considered just as much as any other member of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was assigned a buddy from the start of the placement, and as well as being able to communicate freely with that individual, the managers of my various teams for clients were always willing to give advice and support.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had enough work to feel busy at all times but not so much that I felt snowed under.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was never given any more responsibility than I felt that I could handle, but at one point I did actually take control of an assurance engagement at one particular client.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I completed nine out of the fifteen exams required to become a Chartered Accountant. This means that I have started my career already, as am part qualified and can continue where I left off rather than start from fresh.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Fairly quiet and relaxed.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Full explanation from day one, with correspondance throughout the entire year.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Paid for my training and exams for the professional qualification ACA.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Have been offered a job and will return as a second year graduate.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Social scene was good, with us getting together at least once a month for a night out, and more than a few times a month just for a drink after work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Relatively cheap for a city. and did not feel at any point that I was unable to socialise due to the costs.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nottingham has a good range of nightlife, ranging from casual bars to crazy nightclubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Opportunities were widespread and varied, examples would be mentoring college students, sports team and helping at a local school.