I spent the summer working on allocated projects from the department. A lot of it involved data retrival, collation and graphing. The placement also involved a trip offshore and some training courses. At the end of the internship I gave a presentation of what I had achievd during this time.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I found that this placement gave me scope to expand on what was required and contribute in very different ways.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The work that was assigned to myself did not need a great deal of involvement from other collegues. However everyone in the department made me feel part of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
After being assigned my projects I met up with my advisor a few times to discuss. It was up to me to seek advice if required. This enabled me to take initiative and liaise with different people from different departments.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The projects I was assigned where ones that could be continued even after I left so I was never short of anything to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
My responsibility was toward my own projects.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The projects I undertook and the experience I gained was the determining factor in my choice for my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Friendly people who knew when to have a laugh and when to get serious.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well indeed. From the very first day of arrival everything had been organised and was ready for me to proceed.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was permitted to go on a number of training course and the time that my advisor spent with me was very valuable.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
This is a very good company that values their employees and has great prospects. As a result it is highly competitive to secure a position within the comany.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes there was always something to do and everyone was always up for something different so never a dull moment.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
As with every other place, the more fun something is the more expensive it is so it all depended on how much you were willing to pay.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Some places better than others like most cities.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There was plenty go get involved with for different tastes.