My main duty was to carry out secondary research into the insurance market and the competitors operating within this market. This included tracking competitors' propositions and offers as well as their market share and advertising spend. I also had some involvement in primary research looking at customer feedback and highlighting the key themes.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I feel the placement definately prepared me for my final year and I learned a lot but I sometimes felt that the work did not stretch me enough and I worked for the company at a very difficult time with a number of changes occuring as a result of the economic climate and the integration with HBOS.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The team frequently told me how valuable my contribution was and that they would find it difficult when I left. I regularly received positive feedback on my work and my behaviour and attitude in general.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had weekly 1:1 catch-ups with my line manager in which I could air any concerns and discuss my forthcoming work. My managers were always happy to help me when I needed any guidance.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I found that on times I was bored and had nothing to do and on other occasions I had lots of things on with tight deadlines. It was difficult to achieve a healthy balance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I feel I was given a suitable amount of responsibility for my level but would have welcomed more responsibility and sometimes felt that the less enjoyable and lower level tasks were left to me.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This was the most valuable part of my placement without a doubt. I learned so much about business, marketng, research and career development. The skills I have developed are very transferable and I look forward to taking on this knowledge to help me with my final year studies.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
This is difficult to answer as it varied throughout my placement. At the start the atmosphere was very vibrant and positive but as my placement went on and the company saw more and more change as a result of the HBOS merge, the atmosphere became much more negative as people feared the security of their jobs.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The previous placement students did a great job in setting up myself and the other placement student in the team with everything we needed and ensured we received a very comprehensive handover.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given numerous opportunities to take part in training which was extremely beneficial not only for my job but for my overall marketing knowledge which will help me in final year at University.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
At the moment the company are not taking on many new employees due to the HBOS merge however there could be opportunties in the future as I have made lots of great contacts.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The colleagues in my team would often spend time together outside of work and some even went on holday together. The previous placement student from last year got on really well and now even share a flat together with another mutual friend.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
We would usually go out in Cardiff in which there is a mixture of cheap and more expensive restaurants and bars.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Lots of clubs, bars etc. - a good variety.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The team often invited me to events outside of work such as meals and comedy nights