Associate 1 at PwC

Sheffield Yorkshire and Humberside

PwC is a Top Employer

7.3/10

7.7

Part of an audit team dealing with a diverse range of clients and contributing to the audit on a variety of levels. Understanding the various methodologies and interpreting information delivered by the client in order to provide assurance over the financial statements through the testing approach adopted. Work was based in varying locations involving overseas travel in some instances, further assurance work performed relative to law firms to ensure compliance with the SRA.

A challenging year but with great potential in terms of the opportunities presented and the experience gained.

Every audit involves working as part of a team with an aim to completing a set workload within a given timeframe. As such your input and dedication towards the completion and the quality of work is much appreciated.

The audit teams are structured so that there are numerous people of varied levels of experience. This ensures that coaching is available whenever necessary and delivered by the appropriate person in a controlled environment. The training and support is consistent throughout the job with guidance is available whenever sought.

The workload varied but in every instance it was always challenging given it was dependent on a number of factors, some out of our control. Nevertheless you worked as part of committed team and the workload was shared as seen appropriate. The commitment to the completion of the work was evident throughout the team.

I was held responsible for the work I was assigned and any subsequent follow up work. The responsibility of the audit as a whole was very much delegated in accordance with the experience gained working with the firm.

The ACA examinations sat will prove extremely beneficial towards my final year of study given it is all relative. The experience gained in the commercial environment will help to provide a focus for my final year understanding the expectations of me post graduation.

I was rarely in the office given I was out on client sites for the majority of my placement. The atmosphere depended upon the audit team of which I was apart, factors such as the number of people in the team and the attitude of the client personnel.

There was an evident structure to the placement. The integration was immediate having taken part in the 'PwC' induction and undertaken the necessary training. There were applicants and students from numerous offices given you a feeling of belonging from the very first instance.

The training was immediate, a program was tailored to teaching and reinforcing the required methodologies relative to the type of work we were going to be performing. We were also enrolled with the ACA and began to sit our examinations within the first few months. The training and support for the exams was run through Kaplan, a more than competent firm.

Given the amount of time and money the firm had invested in you, if you prove yourself as being both committed and capable then it is the firms interest to have you back post graduation. This is subject to achieving a minimum of a 2:1 and the conditions of the economy subject to the needs of the firm and the individual offices.

Although the weeks were generally busy the firm took a pro active approach to ensuring there was a healthy work-life balance. This is through organising events within year groups and with the office as a whole.

Sheffield is comparable to both Manchester and Leeds, perhaps more affordable in terms of living in the centre. Working in London proved expensive with respect to dinners etc but again it all proved a valuable experience.

It's a shame to say I didn't experience it much..... but I heard it was good. Depends if you can go out on a student/'school night' and function the next day.

There were numerous business development and networking events which were promoted by the office and attendance although optional optional, was expected.