Business Intelligence at PA Consulting

Victoria Central London and City
Business Analytics Business Intelligence Information Technology Management Consultancy

8.9/10

9.6

The pure variety meant that every day was completely different to the last and always kept things refreshing. My colleagues were friendly and approachable, and I always had support if needed.

I felt that I could ask anybody anything, even senior managers and partners, and nothing was too much trouble.

I worked closely with a partner on multiple assignments, and this helped me to develop my skills and business style immensely.

Whilst there were periods where I was extremely busy, I felt that this was part of what working in this industry would be like, so I found it valuable to be able to practice my time management.

I was given a whole range of responsibilities during my placement, including but not limited to:
- Working alone with key clients
- Meeting and engaging with clients at events
- Working internally with senior management in a weekly "management meeting".

I was offered a whole host of technical and personal development training courses, and these were run particularly well. I also practiced both technical and business skills during my placement, and these will stand me in good stead for my final year, and future career.

Whilst being a professional office environment, collegues were often showcasing new pieces of software they had produced, or projects they had worked on which made for a very interesting environment. When visiting the technology centre in Cambridge, there was plenty of interesting work going on too, especially around product development.

My placement was very well organised, and I was assigned a buddy and line manager, as well as a mentor. On my first day I was able to sit down and sort all personal administration with one of the secretaries, and the following day, I was sent on an "onboarding course", where company policy and basic consulting skills were taught.

The company was more than happy to pay for any training I wished to do, even expensive external training. I enlisted on many internal training courses, and also colleague run "bitesize" sessions, where concepts were introduced to generate further interest in the area.

Whilst I was one of two placement students, there was a good scene within the graduates who joined a few months after us. I found many of my colleagues who were slightly older, were also happy to go to the pub, or organise a game of poker or the like.

Living in London was not cheap, but that was to be expected, and was reflected in the salary.

London, and Victoria particularly, is full of pubs, bars and Pacha. Being opposite Victoria train station meant that the rest of the city was very accessible.

Most of the activities were organised by myself or fellow graduates. We managed to play football and poker on a regular basis.