This review was written using a previous version of questions that
were updated in 2013
Three month scheme assigned to a graduate mentor currently working for HSBC followed by an experience day in Canary Wharf. Programme involved receiving guidance from a current graduate whilst gaining insight into the company, recruitment process and opportunities available within the industry as well as learning about senior female role models within the industry. Full appreciation of what the programme offered were needed, taking full advantage of the networking opportunities and maintaining a relationship with a mentor.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
very enjoyable and informative
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
assigned a graduate mentor so great opportunity, very valued
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
again assigned graduate mentor, one on one help and guidance really useful
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
up to you how often you spoke and saw your mentor but insight day in canary wharf was very busy throughout
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
completely up to you how often you saw your mentor/ how much guidance you sought
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
very useful, training book you worked your way through during the programme aswel so very helpful
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
only there for one insight day but very interesting
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
very organised insight day, talks, networking, group projects and lots of feedback so very organised
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
invested a lot, fast track through straight to assessment centre for internship, graduate mentor assigned to you for 3 months
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
fast track to assessment centre, dont have to do telephone interview, still need to work hard to pass assessment centre but helps in the process
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
great to meet people during the insight day but not much chance outside of that
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
again only there for one day, food etc was provided during the day
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
N/A only during the day
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?