6 week summer internship with the London Tax Group
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I was able to gain an insight into the work of a new graduate trainee and learn about the profession.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was given meaningful and valued work amongst the usual admin tasks.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I always felt I was able to ask questions and colleagues were happy to give up their time to guide me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
A fairly quiet time of year not helped by the recession.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had no previous experience of tax work yet I was given a good degree of responsibility on several tasks.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I don't study accountancy and I have yet to return to uni. However the experience of working with people in a professional environment will prove useful in future projects/coursework.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The people were very friendly and there was a good atmosphere in general. Everyone sits in an open plan office which seems to help.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Perfect, great communication and guidance throughout.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had an initial 3 day technical training course which was very useful.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would very much like to join the firm's graduate program
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were many opportunities to socialise outside of work with colleagues and fellow interns. I was invited to the firm's annual 5 a side football tournament and I went out with other interns for lunch or in the evenings.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Central London is obviously very expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Something for everyone.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Lots of sport and charity events if you wanted to take part.