External auditor at EY

Glasgow Scotland

EY is a Top Employer

6.8/10

6.6

Auditing the financial statements of companies. This involved adding all the figures up to make sure they equalled the total, and finding evidence for all figures such as bank statements to prove to prove all transactions are real, and testing the controls for companies to see how effective they are.

The people are Ernst & Young were brilliant, and sometimes the work was really interesting, however it was often mundane and the people would often stress about how long hours they had to work!

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 24 roles at EY

My colleagues really took me in, were always friendly and supportive, would take us on nights out every week and were eager to stay in touch after I finished my placement.

I was assigned a counselling manager who was on holiday throughout most of my placement, and when I had a question I could go to another manager who was really helpful, however there was no real support or guidance given apart from brief encounters with management.

There were often days when there was barely any work to do, and I'd be waiting for a colleague to find me something to do, then towards the end of the week as deadlines came there would be a lot of work and I would have to stay late with colleagues to do work, so there wasn't always a good balance.

I was doing real tests and signing off parts of audits from the first week, however it was obvious that I was often doing basic tasks and would have endeavoured being given more responsibility.

I developed core skills during my placement such as teamwork and taking ownership, and the placement gave me an insight into employment that will help me both with my final year at university and in future employment.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 24 roles at EY

There was generally an upbeat atmosphere and colleagues encouraged each other to keep going, however towards the end of the day colleagues often felt tired.

The induction week was well set up and a great opportunity to get to know the other interns, however during the work placement part the work to be given to interns was often disorganised and colleagues often didn't know that they would be working with interns. It would be better if there was more of a structure when giving interns work to do.

I don't think I was there for long enough for personal training and development to be developed, however when speaking to colleagues they have advised there is a personal develeopment plan, and I did receive feedback from every colleague I worked with which was very useful.

I will find out next week whether I have been offered a job, but have been advised there is a job available for every intern so am hopeful.

EY organised nights out during the induction week and an end of scheme event, which was brilliant for getting to know the other interns. During the internship colleagues would organise nights out most weekends and always encourage the interns to come along.

I also live in the area I work in so consider the cost to be fair.

The office is in the centre of Glasgow which is close to all the good nightlife.

We were invited to many nights out and advised of charity events, however the Edinburgh office seemed to have more sports events which Glasgow didn't have.