Over the course of 12 months, you’ll take on a series of attachments across the M&S retail operation.
A commercial manager sits below the store manager and looks after a department such as Womenswear or Foods. You are responsible for increasing sales and making sure their teams are delivering the highest standards of customer service. This involves everything from setting the layout and look of the department to overseeing the training and development of the team. You have a couple of section managers to manage, who, in turn, are responsible for anything up to 25 customer assistants.
While on the scheme, you’ll gain experience in a number of areas of the store, including Foods, Clothing, Home, Store Operations and, for a short stint, HR. On each placement, you’ll receive structured training and get the opportunity to learn from experienced managers and staff.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Was a fantastic experience with a wide range of development opportunities for placement students. Really enjoyed my time with the company and hopefully look forward to returning after graduation.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Strong support team in place to help and guide through the year and any queries or difficulties faced.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Viewed as a true member of senior management team in store and so given plenty of responsibility whilst still having the support there if needed.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Lot of time and money invested in the training of placement students and graduates. Full training schedule given on starting with the company and development plan clearly set out when started and revieved on regular basis.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I plan to return back to the business after graduation after being offered a place on the placement returner scheme.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?