•Learning about the IT Operations under the mentorship of Jeremy Galaun, Head of IT Operations
•Extracting and mining index data from Markit Hub and Bloomberg to help the quantitative team to perform attribution on the benchmark indexes.
•Helping the Quantitative/Risk team to find important historic economic data to predict future economic situation.
•Using Data Transformation Services (DTS) to transfer data to the Trader Database; which is back end to Portfolio tool.
•Documenting qualification and rebalancing rules regarding various Merrill lynch indexes
•Running SQL queries on Trader Database to check data integrity.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
it was my first step in the finance world and during those bad times for grads, it was worth the job.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
It is close knit firm and everybody knows everubody
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Well I was pretty busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Was offered a full time job on the basis of my internship.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Learnt how fixed income management works in the real world.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Went out for drinks atleast once a week.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Got to work with various departments and interacted with people in diff positions. Overall got the jist of fixed income management.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I made some very close friends through City Internships.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The Nightlife was wonderful, esp. with people from all around the world.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We hit our capital FM charity target and came second in the scavanger Hunt. So overall we were pretty busy. Had an awesome time with fellow interns esp. the lake disctrict trip was amazing and so was the trip to the beach.