Spreadsheets, number crunching, inputting data, reports, calling clients
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement was ok. I quickly realised that I don't want to do accounting work, so the last few weeks were quite boring since my heart wasn't in it, but in terms of a firm and placement it was good - just the wrong industry personally!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone was really nice and friendly. Obviously I lacked the experience of the rest of the team, but I was treated with the same respect as anyone else. I was just lacking on the office gossip in the first few weeks!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Everything was explained in simple steps for me. I don't have an accounting background, but do have some slight knowledge and my manager and team were appreciative. I was treated as if I knew nothing, but it wasn't in a harsh way but just that everyone made sure I knew what I had to do etc.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Not at all, I had about 3 hours work a day and use to just drag this out across the hole day
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Not at all really, it was all just simple excel calulcations and data entry to be honest -- however its an internship so you can't expect too much responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt so much about accounting and the training has set me up nicely for an accounting dissertation. However, I won't be going into accounting at all, so it won't help me personally, but it potentially could of really helped me
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was really chilled out and relaxed. I was working over the Olympics and everyone would be streaming it while at work, or dicussing it. It was a really fun environement to be in - the Euro Champions were on too, so there was a lot of pub talk going on!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was a case of the team knew I was coming, so a few weeks before I arrived they started putting work towards one side for me. However all the deadlines were beyond my working period so I had a lot of hand over meetings in my last week, as opposed to finishing off projects and seeing the final version/product
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm train you up really well. This was a really good placement if you want to go into accounting, its just a shame the industry isn't for me
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Got a job offer, but I turned it down
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We use to go out on Fridays for a few drinks and then onto a club, they were a good bunch. Your training is all together at the start so you get to know everyone across the firm
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Amazing - but it is costly in London
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
London was really expensive, but totally worth it!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were a few sports events played against the top 4 graduates. The graduates are really sociable and its easy to get yourself invited to their nights out. If you organise something, a ton of people will be up for it.