Carrying out individual projects which included design and testing, and being involved in team tasks and reviews.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I was given very interesting projects to work on which were relevant to my degree and of value to the company. It had a great working environment in terms of both opportunities to learn and socially.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My projects were of great use to the department and my project review meetings were always very well attended by my colleagues. Everyone was happy to help if I had questions or needed advice.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had regular reviews with my supervisor to discuss project process and any issues I was having. I was always given help and feedback. My supervisor had an open door policy and was always happy to spend time giving me extra help or guidance if I needed it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had individual projects which were tailored to the timescale of my internship and so I was kept relatively busy throughout the internship.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was responsible for defining achievable goals for my projects and amending them based on the project process. I was also responsible for the designing sourcing and testing of my project and so was given a lot of responsibility throughout the internship
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The projects undertaken provided a very good application of my skills learned in university. I had a lot of opportunities to practice and develop these skills which will help in my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was a very sociable atmosphere. I was made to feel very welcome within and outwith the workplace.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The project was tailored to my internship duration and what was achievable within that time, so it was a well structured internship.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Other than having the chance to develop my skills within my discipline I was also given many training courses during my internship to ensure I was trained at an acceptable level to work within the company.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Overall I had a great experience with the company and very much enjoyed the work and the opportunities. I intend to work with this company after graduating
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were many organised social events for the interns. Some were organised personally by the interns and there were also company organised events.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It was more expensive than student living, but as I was earning more this wasn't a problem.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There were many social events taking place during the week and at weekends. There was something to suit everyone's taste
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were many sports clubs that were available along with organised activities such as trips to sporting events and tourist attractions.