I tested the Plug-In called Mizen used in Schlumberger's software Petrel. I did so by calculating delta values for subsurface receivers that had been put into a wellbore to monitor hydraulic fracturing in a different horizontal wells. Delta values were calculated within Matlab through code that I scritped, and then input into Mizen to be used for locating source events.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I was in an office with 4 other interns and we all got along very well. We worked when it was time to work and had great conversations during down-time, such as when we had submitted jobs (codes) to run on the server.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I had a full itinerary emailed to me one week before my arrival, and was never confused or lost as to what I was supposed to be doing.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Help was always available if I needed it and guidance from my mentor was invaluable.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I hope to intern with Schlumberger again, but from the Houston, Texas office on 10001 Richmond.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Due to the currency exchange between the U.S. and the U.K., most dinners, plays, food, etc., were nearly twice as expensive for me.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I transferred from one office in Houston, Texas to another in Cambridge, U.K. during a 3 month internship, so I was unable to invest a lot of time into extra activities outside of work.