I worked retrofitting a hydraulic testing rig so that it could be automated.
Main tasks included:
Control system design
Programming - Visual Basic, labview
Project Management (Meetings, presentations, organising contractors, etc.)
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement was thoroughly enjoyable. There was an excellent social atmosphere and the work was enjoyable.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt appreciated by colleagues.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My direct manager was always willing to help me, despite being very busy himself.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was given enough work to keep me busy, but no so much as to make work constantly stressful.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given responsibility for a reasonably large project. It was my job to do the design work, organise contractors, and hold meetings to discuss the project's progress.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt a large amount through experience gained on the job. The skills will be useful both in completing my degree and in future jobs.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The was an excellent social atmosphere amongst the interns. Many of the employees had large workloads however that didn't stop the office from being a happy and social place to be.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My placement was very well organised, I had clear objectives, and several performance reviews. Schlumberger takes a lot of interns, therefore the paperwork etc. was easy to sort out.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There was not much engineering specific training available however the company did provide several training sessions related to the oil industry. There were also several "lunch and learn" events where people provided interesting talks on a variety of relevant topics.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The company has an excellent graduate scheme. Doing an internship at Schlumberger is an excellent way to increase your chances of getting a graduate job with them.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
At times there were over 20 interns at the Schlumberger site I worked at. There was a very good social atmosphere with frequent BBQs, meals and nights out.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived in Cheltenham which has a reasonably large student population. As a result socialising was quite cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I lived in Cheltenham which has a reasonably large student population. As a result the nightlife was good.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
At the Schlumberger site I was at there were many clubs and events.