Intern Manufacturing Engineer at Schlumberger

Stonehouse South West
Computer and Systems Engineering Electronic and Electrical Engineering Mechanical Engineering

7.2/10

6.6

Aid the production of all products produced by STDS, including process improvments, Lean SS tools, troubleshooting, equipment support and maintenance, documentation of process.
Assist in the sustaining of the above tools by way of experimentation and design.

The only thing which stops me giving my placement experience a 10/10 was the long commute that I had to do to get to work.

I have made some friendships which will last many years. I always felt respected and valued by my colleagues.

I would have appreciated more feedback from management throughout the placement- I was left to my own devices and praise was not very well structured. Criticism was almost non-evident and this was certainly not due to me presenting no fault!

Don't really know how to rate this on the above scale... I was always busy and I took on as much work as I could possibly handle (a bit too keen perhaps). I had to learn to say no to more work. Being overworked was only ever my fault.

Decisions were often either left up to me or my research and advice was relied on for management to make decisions. I was regularly asked to recommend products and other services which consumed large portions of the manufacturing budget

I have noticed the difference that doing my Schlumberger placement has had on my ability to study and apply myself. This year at Uni is going very well and I fell better equipped to manage the academia. I feel that I have matured and the placement allowed me to learn things that I would not otherwise learn until well into my career.

Professional, fun. Good relationship with my boss.

I was the first intern that my manufacturing dept. had employed so there were some teething issues but we worked together to make sure that I was being put to good use and had all the necessary training as soon as possible. My "buddy" was excellent.

Anything which I needed to be trained for the company provided me with.

Again, this rating is poorly worded. I do not have guaranteed job, if that is what the question is asking, nor have I been told that one is likely. In terms of future jobs with the company being "appealing" to me, yes I would love to work for the company again.

Yes, I played football with colleagues twice-weekly and was actively involved in going out with friends

I didn't live near work.

I went out with colleagues in the nearest large, affluent town some 20 miles away. The nightlife was OK.

Employees club, several sports clubs.