Aid the production of all products produced by STDS, including process improvments, Lean SS tools, troubleshooting, equipment support and maintenance, documentation of process.
Assist in the sustaining of the above tools by way of experimentation and design.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The only thing which stops me giving my placement experience a 10/10 was the long commute that I had to do to get to work.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I have made some friendships which will last many years. I always felt respected and valued by my colleagues.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I would have appreciated more feedback from management throughout the placement- I was left to my own devices and praise was not very well structured. Criticism was almost non-evident and this was certainly not due to me presenting no fault!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Don't really know how to rate this on the above scale... I was always busy and I took on as much work as I could possibly handle (a bit too keen perhaps). I had to learn to say no to more work. Being overworked was only ever my fault.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Decisions were often either left up to me or my research and advice was relied on for management to make decisions. I was regularly asked to recommend products and other services which consumed large portions of the manufacturing budget
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have noticed the difference that doing my Schlumberger placement has had on my ability to study and apply myself. This year at Uni is going very well and I fell better equipped to manage the academia. I feel that I have matured and the placement allowed me to learn things that I would not otherwise learn until well into my career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Professional, fun. Good relationship with my boss.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I was the first intern that my manufacturing dept. had employed so there were some teething issues but we worked together to make sure that I was being put to good use and had all the necessary training as soon as possible. My "buddy" was excellent.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Anything which I needed to be trained for the company provided me with.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Again, this rating is poorly worded. I do not have guaranteed job, if that is what the question is asking, nor have I been told that one is likely. In terms of future jobs with the company being "appealing" to me, yes I would love to work for the company again.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, I played football with colleagues twice-weekly and was actively involved in going out with friends
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I didn't live near work.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I went out with colleagues in the nearest large, affluent town some 20 miles away. The nightlife was OK.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?