Responsible for design projects such as temperature control chamber. Lot's of mechanical design and ordering from suppliers, build and test of prototypes. Learned about optics and the sensor products that SFTC develop, contributed to some of the underlyingprincipals of operation.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Overall an excellent employment experience
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Most were very appreciative of your presence and efforts
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Manager was a very nice guy, but like all managers he's a busy guy! Independent drive is expected and I don't rate this as a bad thing.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Had too pull some long days, not a problem though with interesting engaging work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had my own project which I was in charge of and also contributed so many other projects.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Absolutely skills for life, opened my eyes to a global industry and an excellent place to start in oil and gas or otherwise.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
People were there to work, but they were friendly and helpful.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I had no problems, the structure for interns was in place, training etc supplied with no problem.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They gave me the funding I needed to run my project when needed, they put me through the standard Schlumberger initial training. Paid bank holidays and holidays (which I had not received from a previous company placement!)
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Good chance they'd take me back, great place for a career.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
A couple other interns there, nice people!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Pretty cheap rent available in Southampton
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
decent enough night out, has what you look for in a city!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
south England has plenty to offer, make of it what you want!