5.8/10

• Organisation
    6.0
  • Socialising
    3.2

the analytical development and MATLAB-implementation of a new numerical model for fluid flow in oil reservoirs:
reading and understanding papers, solving linear algebra and analysis problems, coding and debiugging.

2. My job was to help develop and code a new numerical model for oil reservoirs. We hit the wall a number of times and didn't get anywhere near the results we were aiming for but that's research I suppose.

4. A multi-disciplinary team with appreciation for everyone's qualities and backgrounds.

6. My supervisor was available whenever I had a question and we were working together on the same project for most of the time.

8. Sometimes what I had to do seemed pointless and like nobody cared about it (including whether or not I got it done), at other times there was a lot of drive to solve a particular problem. I was never asked to do overtime though.

9. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
  10. The numerical model we were working on for was in the early development stage and its assets are disputed - so nobody was surprised that results weren't really as great as we'd aimed for.

12. They taught me everything I needed for the job from Numerics to Coding.

14. supportive and friendly.

15. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
  16. Not very structured as we weren't sure where the results / failures of the project would take us.

18. They've given me a supervisor who introducedd me to all the skills that I'd need to develop to work for Schlumberger.

20. Subsidised Canteen

Subsidised/Company Gym

Company Parties/Events

21. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
  22. very well paid and conceptually interesting work. On the other hand: I can't imagine working for them long-term. Oil really isn't for me.

24. Lots of interns and joint activities

25. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
  26. Abingdon = the place where people go to die in peace. Oxford is nearby though and there's always a couple of people there to socialise with.

28. It's Abingdon...