To support the day-to-day work of the PCGB Finance Department and assisting with various finance related projects.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Great opportunity to learn a lot and have fun. I would definitely recommend it.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The finance team and the company as a whole welcomed me with open arms.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support and guidance was always available and I was encouraged to push the boundaries and therefore learnt a great deal.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
In the beginning it is difficult to get to grips with the work load. There is a lot to lean in a short space of time. This said, you learn to become more efficient and therefore have time to work with the Fiance Manager to set a personal project.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The work you are responsible for impacts other members work within the finance team therefore you are required to take responsibility and ensure deadlines are met. You are treated like any other employee and therefore are not just given the little tasks that do not impact the day-to-day activities of the finance team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I have obtained put into perspective the theory I was learning at university. I now feel equipped to apply for future jobs knowing that I am capable and confident.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The open plan office allowed interaction with other teams as well as the finance team. We had fun but also put our heads down when busy.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Through having previous finance interns the internship was well organised.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The Finance Manager invested a lot through supporting and working with me on a Finance project that is now implemented in the day-to-day activities of the Finance department. In addition Porsche offer great training through going on courses and getting an introduction to Porsche by going to Porsche Experience Centre in Silverstone!
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Due to the size of the company there are not many jobs that are available, although if one were to come up I would apply if the timing was right.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Interns and colleagues often get together for drinks etc after work. I am still in contact with some of the interns and employees I worked with.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living was similar to what I pay at university.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife is okay if you find out where is good to go, in Reading it is more about the people you are with, than the venue.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I joined a local netball team and I know others that joined football, rowing etc.