- Writing letters to clients/HMRC
- Listening in meetings and making notes
- Doing tax computations/provisions
- Client acceptance/disengagement
- Other general admin
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Great placement and always had something to do. Gained a lot of insight into the firm.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All my colleagues were very friendly, gave me help with anything I needed and answered all of my questions.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
All keen to help me learn about tax and explained work well for me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There was lots of ongoing work and got plenty of things to do off a variety of people working in different areas of tax so gained knowledge of more than just corporation tax.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Every bit of work is checked by a manager/partner depending on what it is yet they still give you a chance. Got to go to a couple of meetings to take notes for the file.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I was able to get used to working in a professional environment and managing my own workload to ensure I worked to deadlines. Would definitely recommend it to students as I learnt a lot about accountancy, especially to students doing degrees in non-financial disciplines.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very good, sometimes a but quiet but you get used to it.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I was introduced to all the staff so there was always work to be done. I was also kept up to date with my progress and future tasks with regular meetings with my buddy and manager.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
A week in London before the start of the internship anda couple of days at the end. Couple of days to do general training e.g. presentation skills and three days specific training. Both were very valuable. Also recieved ongoing training on the job which worked well.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Official offers aren't until September but if offered am likely to take it.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Friday drinks, sports teams etc.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
A variety of options available so can always find something.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
City centre location, very good.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Heard about a few sports games which looked good but not my thing.