Working as an interns for an accountancy firm meant that no two days were the same. I spent six weeks with BDO Stoy Hayward and in that time I visited three clients and two differenct business streams.
Overall our duties involved a mixture of actual audit work, preperation for the two projects me and my fellow intern had to complete throughout the six weeks, and various administrative tasks.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
A really enjoyable experience due to such friendly staff.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Although some work was rather simple, they were very appreciative of our help.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Although this was not set out formally, they were very approachable and could not have done to help if asked for.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There was plenty to do everyday, for the six weeks I was working, but never did they expect me to work overtime.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Due the complex nature of accountancy, I could not be given too much responsibility, however we were given a suitable amount.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It is helped put my theoretical knowledge of accounting into practise any shown what it is really like in day to day life.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was very positive all too happy to help me out.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well structured with an initial training week in the head office in London and an iternary of work for the following five weeks after.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Paid for us to stay in London for a total of seven nights and encouraged us to attend client meetings and audits at the companies expense.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
They are very appealing and would ease any job application with them, should I choose to pursue that option.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Weekly football on monday nights and socail drinks every three months. They also have an annual UK wide football tournament which is well attended.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
More expensive then the North of England
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
great nightlife but can be expensive if you don't choose your nights carefully.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are loads of opportunities. As i mentioned, there was football on every monday night and a golf day.