Student Chemist in Applied Sciences at Lubrizol

Derby East Midlands
Chemistry

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

7.9/10

Working on different projects within the Applied Sciences department in both a practical and administrating nature. Producing reports to help with customer issues as well as helping with research and development on new products adn techniques.

This was a very enjoyable placement and was an excellent company to work for.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

Generally everyone was very friendly and placement students are treated with the same respect as fully qualified members of the team.

My direct supervisor was extremely helpful with any issues and my final report. The department manager was also very approachable and helpful and if for whatever reason i could not approach either of them there was always someone to help.

All days were different but generally there was enough work to keep me going for the whole day.

Due to some departmental changes I had to take on slightly more responsibility and was fully trusted by my managers to carry out my tasks without having to be supervised all the time.

The office and team work skills developed on my placement will be extremely useful in my future career. The actual chemistry and work learned may not be as applicable as I may not go into a similar job however there were still some helpful points I took from the year.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

There was always an effort made to keep a good atmosphere within the office and my department.

The transition period from old student to new student was very smooth and helpful for me to learn my new job. Generally the managers always knew what I would be working on and what to expect from the year.

They offered learning development courses, in particular poster making, which will be beneficial in the future. One-to-ones were frequent to allow for any issues to be fixed quickly to ensure my job was not being affected by something that I could not do.

As with many companies there are always a few job opportunities available and they enouraged me to apply for a job with them following the completion of my degree if I wished to return to the company.

There were 15 students in total and there were always events/nights out arranged between us to ensure we were all involved and getting along.

Prices were round about the national average and it was not difficult to have some money left over after paying bills.

There were a few clubs and bars for students to attend and we usually arranged nights out within the group to go out and have fun.

There were a few activities arranged by he company for outside of work however none particularly interested me. There were other activities such as a gym, cinema, bowling, shopping available in the area.