Apps IT Industrial Placement Student at Oracle

Reading South East
Information Technology

7.4/10

8.6

Junior role supporting the use of Oracle applications within Oracle.

Task including but not limited to:

Developing enhancements to the current applications, using Java and/or PL/SQL.
Implementing and testing aformentioned enhancements.
Providing end-user support for the application via email/telephone/internal support requests.

Challenging work, with good support from colleagues in a friendly environment.

Participation in group projects was a key area of the role, which made me feel valued.

Each placement student within Oracle Apps IT was assigned to a manager. Support and guidance was available constantly, from people who very knowledgeable about the work being carried out.

As the role had a support element, occasionally there would be little work to do. Though most of the time, there was plenty.

For the majority of the time I was left to my own devices, but all development work I produced was screened before being progressed to a Live/Production environment.

I am yet to begin my final year.

Although it was an open plan office, it was very rare to see people from different teams interacting.

Recruitment and induction was organised by the relevant team, who were flown in from Ireland. Whilst we reported to a specific manager, there was also a designated member of staff in the office to provide us with any guidance or information we required and to organise events.

I was sent on an Oracle University training course, for which I received an industry recognised certificate. This is in addition to the 1:1 tuition and guidance I received from my manager until I was trained to perform my job.

I would be more than happy to continue work for Oracle once I have graduated.

In total, there were over 20 placements students at Oracle. 10 of whom lived in two houses, next door to each other. As you can imagine, we had a good year!

Expensive in relation to Manchester (my university town) and Sheffield (home).

Reading itself has a poor student nightlife. I've rated it as 2 stars only because London is not too far away.

Oracle has an internal Sports & Social department, who organise such activities and provide information regarding external clubs/societies.